Sunday, April 21, 2013

Hey Mom! Need Some Sunshine?

Hey Everybody!

I was saying that jauntily with happy thoughts. That's why I really don't want to re-visit a bad scene I had a few weeks ago, but I think people should be aware of what's going on around them.

A few weeks ago I received an early morning call, one of those you dread getting. Yep, it was my mom. She was seriously ill, so at the end of a tense 15 minutes, I called the ambulance to go where she resides and take her to the hospital, which is across the street.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Not the actual ambulance, but you get the idea
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Away I went, headed for my Mom's home
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I got there and surprise, surprise!  No ambulance. Oh I forgot to mention that I live about 8 blocks further south of the ambulance station and my mom lives north of both.
 
Let's cut to the chase shall we? They arrived about 10 minutes behind me and they certainly were not in a hurry. The first thing one of the paramedics tried to do was tell us she needed to go to Tulsa to the hospital. For those that don't know, that's at least 60 miles away, the local hospital was across the street.
 
I told him she was 96, had an advanced directive and she needed to go next door to get stabilized. Her blood pressure was 195/101. Common sense should have prevailed, but it didn't. I argued with this idiot for 5 minutes. Now this was in front of a sick patient. I finally told him, if he didn't take her next door, I would take her off the gurney and do it myself.
 
They loaded her, but she didn't arrive at the ER until 1/2 an hour later. Can you believe it?
 
She told me later, he had tried to force her to go to Tulsa, OK after they loaded her into that ambulance.
 
Yeah, yeah, I filed a formal complaint, but saw no results. Didn't even receive an apology from the ambulance service.
 
The last time she needed emergency treatment, I loaded her into a wheelchair and we had a nice stroll across the street to the hospital.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We made good time and saved money to boot
 
Thank goodness she was conscious, otherwise
 
I would have had to call the dreaded ambulance
 
 
 
 
Everyone wonders why Medicare is such a broken system? I could make a few suggestions to the folks running it.
 
Just be aware, that all emergency services aren't there just to take care of you. They are in it for the money.
 
 
Until Later,
 
Okie Girl @ Home
 


No comments:

Post a Comment